Thursday 9 August 2012

A Return To Blogging

After a very long hiatus from blogging I decided to return. Start afresh so to speak. Partly to share my experiences with family and friends, but also to connect with others. And let’s face it, blogging is cathartic. I’m a mother of two gorgeous children (8 year old son and 14 year old daughter), wife to an amazing husband and mother to one large, crazy Labrador. Think “Marley and Me” and you will be understand our lab.

My son (8) has Autism and ADHD and life has been a struggle since his diagnosis. However as a family we don’t want it to define him nor us. We try to live life to the full and so our experiences run the gamut from wonderful, depressing, strange and downright hilarious. At times we are like a comedy sitcom. However I’ve also cried, laughed and despaired but I’ve always tried to see the silver lining.

It is easy to become lost in the daily life of being a mother. And that is why I call myself “FlyMum”. I am always on the go, flying from one appointment to the other and looking after everyone else first. Which is essentially what most mothers do best, isn’t it? A state of perpetual motion but how often do we get to stop and smell the roses? If it is anything like my experience, then clearly not enough.

So this blog will be about finding myself, to get out of my “rut” and find the girl who existed before she became a mum. Don’t get me wrong, I adore being a mother and wife and wouldn’t trade it for anything, but somewhere along the road I just got sidetracked. I put on weight, let myself go a bit and stopped going out as much. Partly because of the challenges our family faces, but mostly because I became “lost” and didn’t know who I was when my career was cut short. I know other mothers out there understand what I’m talking about.

So this blog is about finding ME. And let’s face it, blogging is way cheaper than therapy! So I’m putting it out there partly to keep myself accountable.
My first goal is to get out and see more of Sydney with my family, and by myself in my spare time. I know that sounds strange because obviously I live here, but I often take it for granted. “Oh, I’ll get to that one day” or “I’ll do that next time” and then it never happens. Life gets in the way.

I can’t remember the last time I went to a gallery, exhibition or historic house (which is ironic as I was a Tour Guide for a Historical Association here in Sydney. I miss those days! I loved being a tour guide and speaking to tourists, running education programmes and taking part in special events here in Sydney.

When my son was diagnosed and things became tough, I had to give it away. It was a no brainer but I still often miss it. And then it dawned on me that I can use this blog to still do that. So I will be sharing my Sydney stories with all that come to my blog.
My other goal is to lose weight, get strong, healthy and have more energy. I want to run around more with my children and when I feel more energetic, I’ll take up a sport again (socially).

Let’s face it, my chance of Olympic fame is well and truly over. Although I do often dream at the moment whilst watching the Olympics! Rest assured there will be NO pictures of me in workout gear on this blog! Unless or course I am ready for the “Mrs World” competition. I live in hope.

When I thought about blogging again, I wondered how I should define the blog. Should it focus on Autism to help others? Should it focus on motherhood - the trials and tribulations? Should it focus on weight loss? It actually took me a few days to work out what I wanted to talk about. And the answer was…all of the above.
My life is the sum of all parts and so I decided the blog should be the same. Everything is very much intertwined.

I look forward to connecting with people worldwide and sharing my life in Sydney!

No comments:

Post a Comment