Monday 20 August 2012

Off to the zoo

Spring is nearly here and the weather is finally getting warmer. Although not beach weather yet, it was the perfect day for the zoo. So we all piled into the car and headed off to Sydney's Taronga Zoo. I love it this time of year. Less crowds, no queues or packed out shows. The children can also get up closer to the animals without having to crane their necks for a glimpse.
Nursing coffees, Mr FM and I wandered around whilst Master R held the map and explained where to go. On the way he gave us a running commentary with astounding facts. I am sure he will become the next David Attenborough! One of the quirks of Autism is the amazing retention of facts. I now know everything there is to know about Kookaburras.

 
Follow the man with the map!
 
One of my favourites is the Giraffe enclosure. Simply because they look absolutely stunning with the City, Opera House and Harbour Bridge in the background. Imagine having that million dollar view everyday.


 
Giraffe feeding time

 
Elephant Enclosure with the three baby elephants.
 
 
Then it was off to see the free Birds of Flight show. Every time we've been to Taronga we've missed this show because it reached audience capacity or we forgot. It is very popular and now I know why.

 
This time we got there early and sipped coffee whilst enjoying the afternoon view.
I love watching the boats and ferries rushing around the harbour. It is certainly a view I never get sick of.


Now I will confess at being a hopeless Blogger. I forgot to take photos during the actual show as I was too blown away (so that is why I've used some photos from Taronga Zoo's website). It was amazing! Watching trained birds swoop overhead and across the audience was breathtaking. Feeling the swoosh of air as an eagle, black cockatoo or owl flies across is something new. Miss E and Master R like all the children in the audience were beyond excited. Actually from the gasps and claps I think the parents were just as much in awe.

At the end of the show, "Newman" the Galah collects money and drops it into a donation box for conservation. It is very clever and very much deserved. If you go to Taronga then see this show. You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment