Wednesday 15 August 2012

Girls Lunch

Today I took Miss E to the Orthodontist to have braces put on. She was actually quite excited which I found strange as her teeth aren't that bad, just needing a small amount of straightening. Apparently it has now become cool amongst her friends to get braces. Parts of the braces can be colour coordinated in fashion or sporting team colours (Miss E chose pink and purple). So when you smile you can at least look fashionable. Who knew?

All up it will be about $7000 worth of work. (Ouch!) I think it cost about $3000 or so back when I had them, which was a huge amount of money. I hated them even though I knew they were for the best. For a couple of years I did a Victoria Beckham and refused to smile, or I covered my mouth with my hand self-consciously. I had mine removed the day before my Year 12 (End of High School) formal. I keep telling Miss E that she'll thank me later. So will my Orthodontist who must be making a fortune given the trendy premises he works from. I knew I chose the wrong career.


Afterwards I suggested we grab some lunch before her mouth hurt too much to chew anything. And since it was just us girls, I decided to take her out for Yum Cha (aka "Dim Sum").


 
Spring Rolls, Fried Scallops, Pork Buns - All very good for the waistline - NOT !


 
Steamed Prawn Dumplings and Chinese Broccoli with Soy Dressing


A friend on Facebook commented that Miss E looked like an expert using chopsticks. Which is true because she learnt as a very young child when we travelled around Asia. When my husband worked in Malaysia we spent a long time over there with him and she just picked it all up. She is very easy-going and will try anything unlike Master R who is very fussy and the complete opposite.
 
We've travelled to Hong Kong a few times when she was younger. The locals absolutely loved her. In restaurants they kept slipping her treats and commenting on how she ate like a local. In Malaysia she charmed market stall holders and they'd give her exotic fruit to try. She is wonderful to travel with because she goes with the flow and is quite easy-going with what foods she will try.
 
All in all it was a wonderful lunch even if Miss E was more excited in getting a day off school.

No comments:

Post a Comment