Thursday 23 August 2012

Changes...

The hardest thing about making changes is sticking to them. They say it takes at least 2 -3 weeks to develop a new habit. Well there is one habit I’ve stopped and I’ve reached the month mark… I’ve given up Soft drinks. Even though I drank the diet versions, I would normally drink a couple of glasses a day.

After reading an article about the health risks and became alarmed. I went cold turkey then and there. I no longer have the same amount of migraines or aches and pains. And my lethargy has reduced substantially. Sleep wise, I’m actually getting through the night without waking up. Weight wise, I’ve lost a few kilos without trying.

For at least a week I was one cranky woman. Worse than PMS and my family were a tad scared! I guess that was the major caffeine withdrawal. The rest of the family have now followed suit but quite frankly they had no choice as I wasn't buying it anymore. I have no proof that soft drinks caused my health problems but I know I feel a million times better already.

Damn you Elle Macpherson and those diet soft drink advertisements! Yes, I bought into the hype years ago. The message was "drink this and you too can run along a beach looking like this". I'm still bloody waiting...

On the upside I still indulge in this...


The perfect drop to go with home-made lasagne. I tend to gravitate to red wines in Winter but in Summer I'm more of a white wine/Champagne girl. But then again, there is never a bad time or occasion to have Champagne. It is probably my drink of choice.

My little man only drinks water and milk. He's 8 but he absolutely detests the taste of juice, soft drink or flavoured cordials. He can't stand the sweetness of those drinks. It just goes to show how many of us have become desensitized to the taste. He complains it is way too sweet. A splurge for him is having Milo or chocolate powder added to his milk. Sometimes he'll sit down with me and have a little cup of tea (decaf for him) but water is his drink of choice.

Therefore when I banned soft drink from the house, he was the only one walking around with a smile on his face for a few days while the rest of us "detoxed". Thankfully the bad moods have lifted and sanity has returned to this house. So three weeks to make a change seems to be spot on.

I'm about to see if I can do this with exercise next. I'm not a fan but I need to get fit. Three weeks and counting. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment