Tuesday 14 August 2012

The Olympic Hangover Begins...

For the last two weeks we’ve used this as our mantra…

 
Yes it can be very exciting watching the Olympic Games. But after two weeks of non-stop TV viewing excitement we are absolutely exhausted. Being “down under” means we are watching it from a whole other time zone. So watching the Olympic Games means setting DVD recorders to tape events or setting an alarm clock to get up at an insane hour.
We actually do this every Olympics when they are in a different hemisphere. (Which is most of them unfortunately). Just like having Christmas in summer, it is just one of those things that you become accustomed to as an Australian. The only problem is now that I’m getting older I find that I don’t bounce back the next day as quick.
Walking down the street you can spot the zombies (sorry, “Sports Tragics”), all nursing a very strong coffee and sporting glazed eyes. With a nod of recognition we pass each other. It seems quite a few people are in a daze.
 
Our children have been own playing sports and recreating gold medal moments of their own. I’ve never seen my daughter practice her basketball shooting so much. My little man is running around the garden in circles cheering himself on. I don’t have the heart to tell him that you have to run in straight lines. If there was a gold medal for running in circles and chasing the Labrador, he’d win hands down. I am just happy they are outside being active. It is great to see them inspired.
 
 
Workers begin the Olympic Clean-up – (Reuters)
 
So now it is all over and I remember how it felt in Sydney 2000 after our Olympics ended. There was a bit of sadness and it took a while for everyone to get back into the swing of things. Coming down from such a high and returning to normality is hard. So now the clean-up begins and I know how they feel as I’ve neglected the house, the washing, the garden and running errands. Driving past other gardens, I see I’m not alone.
This morning my husband said that on a postive note the local Pizza place did a roaring trade on take-aways. And that the Soccer World Cup (“Football” in other parts) is only two years away.  Bring it on…
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment